Monday, September 8, 2008

First Source Book Deal



These are things that I generally find interesting, things I hope to achieve with my own work, and things I want others to consider. Enjoy---








Starting off with Carrie Mae Weems. A gorgeous lazy day. I love the shape (as though it were a painted on a circular canvas) and that this is called After Manet. Perfect and sweet.













I generally do not understand why Thomas Kellner is given money to travel the world and do the same thing over and over again with each monument he sees, but this is pretty. Some cyan action happening on separate panels.








I can't get over how well Erwin Olaf can create a full story.









This is a photograph by Sally Mann. I love how the hand reaching for the young girl comes from beyond the camera's frame, yet the girl continues to focus on the camera.











Richard Misrach. I finally learned to significance of this photograph. Thanks, Pipo












Seydou Keita, a Malian photographer, did a good amount of portraits during his lifetime. This is one I have taken to. Patterns on patterns and the two subjects' pose.























Sandra Nydegger shows a torrent of movement out the frame.

















An offhand photograph taken by a friend, Firdaus Dawood, during a road trip through West Virginia/Pennsylvania, I believe. Miraculously, she managed not to catch herself in the reflection of the windshield while taking a nice picture.

















Again, a story. Something post-apocalyptic from Mary Mattingly with a good mixture of contraptions/costumes and the natural landscape. Very crisp.










I hope this counts as a photograph. Well, I know that it doesn't because it's a still from a video by Michael Paul Britto. I believe I lost a chance to meet him this summer, but I did meet Fahamu Pecou; I confirm that he is the shit.
Anyways, I love the heat and glow of this city street. This is truly voyeuristic. I can't really decide if it makes me think of a surveillance camera or someone watching from a like fire escape. Either way, it makes any people-watcher's mouth water. At least mine.



Good night, all.

No comments: